I may get shot in the head for this one, but it's my blog and I can voice my opinion. :)
Everyone say, "Bless her heart!" :)
I am not a writer, so I'll do my best to word this right.
We get carried away with GIFTS at Christmas!! I hear so many people tell all they're getting for their children and I can't help but think...what a waste! I can just about guarantee everyone who reads my blog is not lacking in material possessions. (My husband said a guy at his work had to take a break opening presents because their kids got bored).
We put our credit cards to use and pay all year on "stuff." Most of that "stuff" ends up being discarded and forgotten about a couple weeks after Christmas and eventually thrown into a yard sale down the road.
It floors me the amount of money some spend on things we absolutely DO. NOT. NEED. Toys, games, clothes,etc are outgrown so fast. Why does everyone think they or their children need every new fangled gadget that's out there?
We set a budget in our family and most people would think it's absolutely laughable. My children are not in want! There are several "Christmases" that they have with grandparents, other relatives, and friends. They come home with more than enough.
We have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas in our homes, I'm afraid. And, yes, this includes the church people. God commands us in His word to be a good steward with His money. I think this applies with gift-giving. If we have to borrow from Visa, Discover, etc, is that being a true steward?
(Now, I want you to know I'm preaching to the choir here. :) I have many areas and ways I need to improve upon this myself).
I found this and it really got me to thinking:
What if we focused more on giving things like:
Time playing with our children
Baking cookies for someone
Making traditions
Visiting family
Pondering the Christmas story and the details we don't normally think about
Making handmade gifts
Lending a listening ear
Helping our neighbor
Buying for a needy family
And I'm sure you could think of many other things!
Christmas isn't about the presents.
Edited to Add: These thoughts are just that...thoughts. I am not saying you have to do this. It was something I ran across that got me to thinking. I shop all year long to get the most for my $, but that's just me. Goodness knows...do what you wanna. :)
Edited to Add: These thoughts are just that...thoughts. I am not saying you have to do this. It was something I ran across that got me to thinking. I shop all year long to get the most for my $, but that's just me. Goodness knows...do what you wanna. :)

7 comments:
Oh, Jenny you are right on!!! I loved what you said, and have gone way overboard in the past, but I really find I can do without so much. I can't do what I use to and I'm ready to downsize my STUFF!! I do need a few clothes to replace the ones that have gotten TOO BIG and I'm giving away to someone else that is in need. Even with that I don't want to go buy lots of clothes, cause I don't plan to stay in that size and haven't very long up to this point.
I agree with you 100%. "Bless your heart". :)
I've been thinking so much on this lately. One of the guys on my husband's route spent hours standing in line at WalMart on Black Friday to get a laptop...for his 8-year-old daughter.
We have lost the meaning of the season. Favorite quote for this year:
"Christmas...whose birthday is it?"
I especially like your tips for giving gifts to our kids. I might use that one. :-)
I absolutely agree with you. I know quite a few people who go all out for their kids on christmas and it's way too much. I normally always get my kids one big gift and that would be an item they have wanted all year. then we get a few smaller gifts. One thing I'm doing different this year is the stocking stuffers. Instead of a bunch of little junk, I'm doing nothing but art supplies. I will always throw in some candy. Good post.
Awesome post!
Great post! I've been thinking along the same lines for future years. :)
Good post! I totally agree. If we ever have children, we would probably use the four gift rule.
Post a Comment